Monday, March 10, 2008

The Bangkok Guide

Not two days ago I was complaining to a friend that one of the hardest things about finding organic produce, places to recycle batteries, and vegetarian restaurants is that I can't just pick up the phone book and check the yellow pages. Of course with the advent of the Internet I hadn't used the phone book in the US for at least 7 years but I think you catch my meaning.

Photo reprinted with permission.

I found myself in one of Bangkok's many malls last week and stopped into the bookstore, as I always do, to scan the Thailand-interest titles. This time something new caught my eye, The Bangkok Guide: The Essential Guide to Living in Bangkok. It's a beefy book that is part guide book, part phone book. It's produced in Thailand by the Australian-New Zealand Women's Group and truly provides a wealth of information on living in Bangkok - from hospitals, schools and banking to shopping, art galleries, and social clubs. It also contains much of the kind of information that a sustainable-living warrior might covet, such as:
  • Organic Food
  • Vegetarian & Vegetarian-Friendly Restaurants
  • Shopping Local
  • Natural Child Birth & Doulas
  • Alternative Health Care
  • Volunteer Opportunities

I purchased the 17th Edition which was published in 2007 and comes with a good map and small phone/phrase book. I paid Baht 850 at Asia Books and consider it money well spent. Especially when you consider that all proceeds from the sale of the book are donated to Thai charities.

No comments: