Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Plastic Bags

During my first few weeks here, plastic bags began to take over my life. No matter what my daily activity I always seemed to accumulate at least one or two plastic bags. I had assigned them to a small corner of one drawer in my kitchen to store for re-use as bin bags. They were sharing the drawer with my glass measuring cups, cheese grater, and kitchen towels (I know, it's a strange drawer). In less than a week they completely took over the drawer. I still can't see my cheese grater, though I know it is back there somewhere, waiting for its Bangkok debut.

Every time I opened the drawer I was racked with guilt. I would imagine the bag suffocating some sea turtle, clogging street drains during the rainy season, or outliving me in some landfill. The worst part being, that the bag wasn't even of much utility to me in the first place. Take for example this cup of coffee I bought. In this case the bag was actually a hindrance to me. I beg you, if you have been given something more ridiculous in a plastic bag, please send the me the photo. I might start an album.

It was shortly after I received this cup of coffee that I put my proverbial foot down. No more plastic bags.

How to avoid getting them. Step one was learning how to say that I don't want one in Thai. These two phrases have served me well.
  • mâi ow tŭng / (I) don't want bag

  • mee tŭng láa-ow / (I) have bag already

I find it doesn't matter if I don't get the tones just right. I just hold up my canvas bag and smile. The response is almost always enthusiastic and positive. At least two shopkeepers have grinned widely and responded "save the earth!"

I brought my bags with me from the US and take one with me everywhere I go - discreetly folded in the bottom of my purse. Now that I'm paying attention though, I see that reusable bags are for sale literally everywhere in Bangkok. I've seen them at Chatuchak, the Jim Thompson store, Siam Center, and at my neighborhood street market.

Why care?
For one thing, they are an eyesore. Plastic bags litter both the sidewalks and the waterways in my neighborhood. And since the bags can take as many as 1,000 years to break down, they are going to be there for a while. 1,000 years seems like a really long time when I consider that I probably only used the bag for 5 to 60 minutes - 1 week if I reused it as a bin liner. If you consider the resources that go into creating and distributing plastic bags - both the energy used and the pollution created - the picture gets bleaker still.

In September of 2007, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) began a campaign to promote the use of cloth bags. According to their studies 21% of the garbage in Bangkok is made up of plastic bags (other estimates put the figure at 15%)!! The BMA said that by cutting plastic bag consumption, greenhouse gas emissions could be cut by up to 1 million tons/year and garbage collection costs could be reduced by 650 million
baht/year.

What to do if you do get them.
Despite all of my best intentions, it does occasionally happen that a bag sneaks up on me. So what then?

At the very very least, I try to reuse them. In our home plastic shopping bags usually make encore appearances as bin liners and leftover containers. We also use them when we travel to wrap up our shoes before packing them with clean clothes. I've also used them as packing material. Still when I'm completely done with the bag... it ends up in the bin. My apartment building doesn't have recycling bins but my apartment manager assures me that the recyclables are separated. According to most of the literature I've read, he's right.

In Bangkok, and throughout Southeast Asia, recyclables are recovered by both official garbage collectors and so called "pickers" - individuals who pick out and sell recyclables for income. Sounds great right? Chuck everything into one bin and let someone else make a living out of sorting it out. Unfortunately there are some drawbacks. "Pickers" - many of whom are children - are exposing themselves to health risks by working in unsanitary conditions. And because recycling is market-driven rather than mandatory, not everything that could be recycled is getting recycled.

Want to be sure your bags get recycled? You could take them to a recycler yourself. In January BK Magazine's Mr. Know-It-All provided a list of places to drop of recyclables.

Unfortunately recycling the plastic bags also consumes energy and produces waste so the much better solution is to avoid getting those bags in the first place.

Sources:
  1. Thailand Joins World Community in Reduction of Greenhouse Gas Emissions, Thai Government Public Relations Department (Sep. 3, 2007).
  2. Plastic Shopping Bags in Australia, National Plastic Bags Working Group Report to the National Packaging Covenant Council (Dec. 6, 2002).
  3. State of Waste Management in South East Asia, United Nations Environment Programme (2004).
  4. 3R Practice in East and South-East Asia, Waste Management World (Sep. 2007).
  5. Waste Reduction, Reuse and Recycling, Thailand Environment Monitor (2003).
  6. The Curse of Plastic Bags, Bangkok Post (Feb. 26, 2008).

1 comment:

Erin said...

I pull out as much as I can for recycling and bag it up for the building maids who try to make extra money by recycling. I figured they did the basic plastic bottles and aluminum cans. I was very surprised and pleased to see them doing every bit of plastic, cans, glass, loads of cardboard, car parts, newspapers, and a kids bicycle all in one day! (And my neighbors think I'm nuts for saving it for the maids when they could pick it out themselves. But I like the good feeling I get when I do it myself!)